Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wednesday 20 July 2011



Drills then pass the half guard.  I passed purple belt Mike’s half after a ridiculous struggle to crossface him enough to get his back to the mat.   How come little guys can make me go flat and I can barely get anyone’s back to the mat?  Something to work on…  Anyway, re-established guard  on someone, can’t remember who, then got passed by Mike (easily).  The rest of it was so crappy.  My half still needs lots of work.  Purple belt Ken taught tonight, really well I might add.  He first reviewed basic half guard escapes.


1st:  1. Get on your side.  2. Block Cross face. 3. Switch hands.  Pull guy high on you with underhook and legs.  Come up to your knees, facing away from him,  and pull the one knee through.  Turn back around and re-establish guard.


2nd 1. Get on your side.  2. Block Cross face. 3. Switch hands.  4. Pull guy high on you with underhook and legs.  5. Switch grip on hands to grip on knee.  Can either grab his belt to pull him high or push up on his armpit with underhook.  At this point either come out the back door or, if he wizzers the underhook, abandon the grip on his belt and grab his wrist with that hand.  Thrust hips back underneath the guys and turn over for the sweep, keeping your elbow tight to your side.


3rd Guy starts to stretch out the leg you have trapped in half guard,  pull it way out to the side with both legs and keep shrimping as ou do so,  when its far enough out, basically use it as a single leg and push the guy over with your head,  keeping your grips on his other knee to help yourself.


Rolls:  First up was Vaughn.  Lessons learned tonight; if I give Vaughn my back to try to avoid him passing my guard, he will bow and arrow choke me ten times out of ten. Have to be more careful with this, and also be less complacent when in his guard.  I still haven’t figured it out his guard, it fells different from pretty much everyone in there.  We reset with him in my guard and started getting busy, buit then time was called.  Must have been 5 min rounds tonight.  Ah well.  Disappointed to get choked so easily, but I must say, Vaughn really has his attacks figured out from right there, he even showed me a couple variations that make more of a loop choke, and a nasty way to finish with the knee.  Showed me the defense too, which is to pull as hard as you can with both hands on the choking hand, and once its in front of your f ace, pop your head out.  Must practice this. 


Next up was Doc Ken.  This was my only good roll of the night, mostly because the good Doctor was letting me work a ton.  I basically did a bunch of stuff okay and one or two things pretty good.  First I hit a hip bump sweep, which I haven’t in awhile, so that’s okay.  Got my mount super high on him, he actually was kind of letting me, to see what I’d do. Switched to s mount and went for the armbar, but it wasn't even close.  Wound up in turtle, grabbed his leg and basically sat back into my guard. I think he gave me that one to.  From guard, I tried breaking him down and got absolutely nowhere.  His posture and grips were awesome, totally how I want to be.  Then I got ambitious.  Setup lasso guard and instead of baiting the sweep, I went for Vaughn’s version  of the roll to triangle, where you switch the hands grabbing the wrists and just roll your lower leg over the top for the triangle.  No one was more surprised than me when it actually worked!  I think he was more expecting the sweep set-up.  Anyway, my surprise quickly turned to disappointment as he executed a very technical escape from the triangle and never once exposed his arm for the arm bar.  Damn it!  We ended in half guard, with me trying desperately to remember the stuff he’d gone over tonight so I didn’t embarrass myself too badly.  Time.


Last roll was with Chris L (blue). For this roll, I think my recent health issues had reduced my legendary powers to a mere fraction of their glory.  Ah well.  We did our usual back and forth trench warfare, with Chris going for his patented version of the hip bump sweep and me trying to do the defense for it.  I must say, he had much more success than I with that counter the last time we rolled. Anyway, at the end, he caught me with a kimura from his full guard that was damn close.  I might have survived it, or he might have cranked on it and got me or at least converted it to the sweep(most probably one of the latter options, as Chris hits lots of kimuras), but blessed providence saw fit to call time.  We chuckled about it. 


Stuff to work on:  order of operations for half guard sweeps.  Review this.  Maintaining open guard.  Passing open guard.  Resestablishing guard instead of givng up the back. Get to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment