Saturday, July 2, 2011

June 29th

Got to class late as usual.  Guard break I barely remember.  I think I got blue belt rick with some kind of leg lasso sweep, but he really defended it vigorously in a way I’m not used to.  Will have to ask him about that.  Charlie passed me I think, as did blue belt Nick.  Couldn’t pass Charlie’s open guard. 


Techniques:  Purple belt Mike showed the flower sweep.  I need to work on this. Once grips are set and you plant you right foot firmly against his left leg, scoot towards your right foot.   Once he follows, kick up with your left foot, and punch up with your left fist, which is grabbing his pant leg.  He should go right over.   


There’s another sweep set up where you grab his right sleeve with both hands, and using your right hand, punch it across the midline towards his body.  Hip out to the left AS YOU DO THIS. Reach over his back with your left arm and grab him tightly.  At this point, just pull him over you and roll, using your legs to create momentum.  When I get guys in this position, I would always try to pendulum sweep, but this way, you just bear hug them and roll.  Purple belt Ken says it not a cerebral move, just grab them and roll hard.  I NEED to drill this one; it could be a valuable sweep option. 


Rolls:  Started with young man Chris (blue belt).  He hadn’t rolled since April, so I was mainly helping him get the dust off.  Got an Americana from top half guard, but that’s cause he’s rusty. 


Next was Andy (brown). He was definitely trying to help me with this roll.  Felt like I moved okay a lot of the time, but he funneled me into his crucifix several times.  The first time I was somehow able to escape by jumping over the top and driving into him, but it was a desperation move.  He said the technical way to fight it is to drive into the guys legs as soon as you feel him start to set it up.  Next time he put me there, he caught me with a gi choke. Again,  he’s so good at funneling me down the path he wants me to go. Still, am noticing small improvements in my ability to move around him and prevent him starting his butterfly half game.  It’d be nifty to figure out a flying triangle from knees or something… like I’ll ever catch that.


I made the mistake of telling Andy I was gonna tap Collin tonight, so of course he let Collin know.  Collin did not appear to be terribly intimidated by my challenge,  and used the next six minutes to disabuse me of any notions of conquest I may have had.  He tapped me twice, once with that kimura from armbar set up from mount and once I cant remember how.  I will say this though. I rolled maybe the best I ever have against him, reversing him twice from half guard (with the Vaughn sweep) and throwing up a triangle that, while definitely not a serious threat, was the closest I’ve ever come to committing to the attack against him.  Afterwards he showed me why he can pass my open guard at will: once he gets the inside pant legs to grab, he’s pretty much passed.  The solution is to bring both hands up inside the knees, and when your opponent tries to set up his grips, grab his sleeve and simultaneously kick straight out, breaking his grip on the pant leg.  Collin’s understanding of the science underlying bjj is more astounding the longer you talk to him. It's so awesome to be able to learn from that guy.  

 
After class Charlie brutalized me.  I moved okay, but this roll was all Charlie.  He caught a De La Riva sweep by basically just scooting and pushing me over backward.  I remember having okay top half guard at one point and he nailed an awesome sweep from there.  I escaped his mount once using the Tran escape, and another time he armbarred the living shit out me when I tried it.  I need to keep the arm in tight for that escape or Charlie will take it every time. Love those after class rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment