Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not sick enough to skip...

Monday July 11
Drilled, then a new version of guard pass drills where you start in turtle and the guy tries to take the back.  I did way better than I expected to when in turtle, getting Chris K and Neil (blue) in my guard.   Vaughn worked me.  He’s good from pretty much everywhere.   Chris K and Neil both got their revenge as well.


Techniques:  1st, sweep the guy (from turtle)  by clamping his arm to your  side (must be over his elbow) if he overcommits his arm to grabbing your collar. Base out with foot CLOSEST to the guy, drop your clamped shoulder to the ground and roll over it, taking him over the top.  Turn in and push on his hips with both hands to keep him in place as you complete the turn.  Establish sidemount


2nd and 3rd were two attacks on turtle that I don’t think I remember at all.  Oh one was a clock choke. I remember you get the grips, then base on your head and walk around, turning on your side so that you put a ton of weight on the guys neck.  3rd was a variation of this.


Rolls: First up was Chuck (purple).  I should mention here that this was my first day back from an illness which I’m still not completely over.  Consequently was not the hulking virile specimen of inexhaustible courage that I usually am.  In short , I punked out a bit tonight.  Anyway, started in Chuck’s guard.  He opened up and I attempted that climbing pass he showed me earlier.  It must have been working a little , because he pulled me into his half guard.  Luckily I was able to get my leg high; I did the arch your back and kick off with your foot pass which surprisingly worked. Chuck’s half guard is sick, so I think I got a bit lucky, especially in light of the stupid mistake I made of having the underhook and literally giving it up and giving him the underhook.  Tried to take mount and he swept me and I quickly pulled guard.   I forget how, but he got the pass (or maybe he went right to side from the sweep). Anyway, he went  right to setting up some choke, and I luckily was able to pull him over the top, as he scooted to follow me.  I think I played Andy’s classic butterfly half for a minute, might even have got  a sweep off it.  Anyhow, got sidemount on Chuck, time was called.  I wish Chuck would stay after class, so I could roll with him more.


Next up was Charlie (purple). Charlie beat the crap out of me.  I threw up two guillotines that I thought should have been closer to getting him worried, but Charlie was having none of my reindeer games.  He tapped me twice, and had me in mount as time was called.  I was gassed, but also Charlie knows his business.  I might have got a sweep on him(the Charlie aka reverse scissor sweep) But we ran into the wall.  This roll drives home the point that I need to do a better job of remembering where I fucked up as well as cheering on my victories.  I definitely need to work on not letting people pass my open guard.  Need to remember Colin’s advice of putting the hands on the inside of the knees and kicking out after grabbing the sleeves.


Last up was Andy (brown) who took it super easy on me.  Possibly the nicest man in jiujitsu. He let me work my game, fed me sweep opportunities and even fed me two submissions.   I got the double knee push plus double foot grab sweep to counter a standing opponent, he put his arm out to keep me from coming forward and let me take the armbar, which I did in sort of a catch and release way.  Later he gave me some pointers on passing.  I always slide my knee over their thigh and try to pass that way.  The sort of backdoor for that is to grab the outside of their pants at the knee and PUSH away to get the pass. When they invariably counter by pushing back, pop that sucker straight down then roll over it with your shoulder.   He showed this, then essentially spoon-fed it to me when we were going live, even letting me catch an arm triangle sub.  When I couldn’t finish, he told me he likes to finish as a sort of clock choke, gable gripping his hands and coming around, but keeping his hips and shoulders facing the mat.  Awesome.  Love training with that guy, he’s gonna make me better. 


After class bs’ed with Henry Ricky and Wylian about their tournament…  A great night of jiujitsu.


No comments:

Post a Comment