Monday, June 13, 2011

spider and Lasso guard

Late as usual, but I still got to do most of the warm-up.  In guard break drills tonight, the rule was, start from spider guard.  This didn't work out too well for me.  Passed twice on a fellow blue belt who, like me, doesn't play much spider.  Did I sweep anyone?  I think i got one, but it wasn't too technical.  

Technique tonight was setting up lasso guard, the sucker sweep from lasso, and couple of arm drags.  The first arm drag involves scooting further away, circling the foot out from under his arm, pulling the arm in to your belly and the mat as you kick out and sit up.  Go to seat belt or take the back.  2nd arm drag occurs when the guy passes towards the side not getting lasso'd.  Abandon the lasso, and use that foot in the guys bicep to stretch the guy out, then replace with the other foot.  Swing the lasso foot out to create momentum, and drag the arm on the left.

Not enough rolls tonight!! Only got two, what kind of business is that?  I felt like Bob Sapp in that Japanese promo where he yells "The Beast is always hungry!!!" and slams his fist down on the table full of terrified Japanese reporters' recording devices.  First up was one of the four or five blue belts named Chris.  Passed his guard with the fist in arm pits, butt in air, knee in ass pass, to knee on belly.  He scrambled for half and got it easily.  We went back and forth with him digging for sweeps and me cross facing.  At some point he turned over and i took his back.  Got a bow and arrow choke.  God thats such an easier finish than fighting for the rear naked.  We reset from my guard, and i tried to play open, which i think he passed. Time.


Next was big white belt Jamie, who's getting to be quite a handful.  Got my first ever stepover arm bar, and it was technical so I'm happy about that,  more that I can see the opportunity for those than that i landed it.  I want to diversify my attacks, especially from side.  We reset, and he was so close to getting a sweep that i stopped and started teaching. I did it again when he was real close to another sweep. He didn't seem to mind, which is good, because sometimes it drives me crazy when people do that.  I guess you just have to ask yourself whether stopping and teaching will help them considerably or just make you feel good about how much you know.  Anyway, I like rolling with him a lot.  

After class, reviewed some sweeps from guard when the guy stands with Vaughn.  Pretty helpful.  Basically just collapse into a "V" and the push in with the knees while you grab the ankles.  He also showed me a variation of the pendulum sweep where you block the guy from being able to base with your body, instead of just grabbing his hand.  Will have to give this a try.

Wylian finally got his freaking Blue Belt!  LOOOONG overdue, IMHO.

Song of the night: Gf playing Redemption Song and Closer to the Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment