Friday, June 10, 2011

A lovely Friday NOGI class

Small class as usual, which is part of the charm. Myself, Oldman Steve (new purple) and Vaughn (visiting 4 stripe blue), as well as Collin and Gavin.  All escape from sidemount stuff tonight.  Fight the cross face with a hand on the bicep, then flare the elbow and push his elbow waay to the other side.  Keep it pushed, sit up using the other hand, the shrimp away. 

Rolls:  Got Vaughn first.  He really thwarted all my offense tonight.  We neutralized each other pretty good, but he hit another awesome sweep, grabbing both ankles then pushing against my hips.  Really clean.  Fun roll.

Next was Gavin, who I did alright against, but who still had position on me basically throughout the roll.  I seem to remember tapping to something, oh wait, it was a rear naked.  How he got there I have no idea, because he was in my half guard when he started setting it up.  So awesome.  Should  have asked him about it.  Still, I felt like I moved better against him than I usually do. 

Next was Collin.  I swept him earlier in guard pass drills, so I thought I'd try it again.  Nothing doing.  It turns out that Collin's not actually a tadpole, and has a memory that lasts longer than 15 seconds.  That sweep was doomed.  DOOMED!!! However, the rest of the roll was not too bad.  The only 2 thing I really remember were trying to get that deep half guard from knee on belly and being shut down, and doing a decently technical escape from a mounted armbar.  He set it up, i somehow got both of my wrists behind his leg, then bridged wound up on top, then snuck a knee in to put pressure on his elbow to escape.  He later told me that only works from some grips. 

Fun night, although too short for me...  Where was Charlie?

No comments:

Post a Comment